Monday, September 10, 2007

First Project - Gasoline

I have no idea how many miles a week/month I typically drive. So for this week, and possibly the next, I'm going to drive a "normal" amount for me and actually keep track of it. I'll drive to and from school, to and from work, out of town to visit some friends a couple of times, and maybe add a trip to the mall or to the craft store. I reset my trip meter and my mileage reading, so by the end of this time I should have my average mpg and my miles to use to calculate my average gas useage. Then it'll be time to start strategizing ways to lower that by at least 33%.

Since part of the purpose of my Reduction Project is to also reduce complexity and overall consumption in my life in general, I plan to alternate making energy reductions with making certain conscious consumption reductions. For instance, I'm going to see if I can reduce the amount of clothing in my closet by at least 50%. I plan to use the 80/20 rule, with only a few exceptions, to clear away any and everything I do not like, or do not routinely wear. Why keep it around?

So, onward.

No comments: