Friday, October 26, 2007

Making your own dishwasher detergent works!

We ran out of the stuff we normally use this week, and I figured this would be a good time to try the home-made dishwasher detergent recipe I've bookmarked on the sidebar (points to the link to non-toxic house cleaning "over there...") I wasn't sure how well it would work, and neither was my husband, but he agreed to give it a trial run. So we did.

I'm happy to report that it works at least as well as the stuff we've been buying in plastic bottles. My husband is still concerned that it might haze the glassware after a while, but has agreed to give it a longer trial to see if that happens. So we're using homemade dishwashing detergent for the time being. I'm a happy camper. Besides being a lot cheaper, it's also a lot less harmful to the waterways. I kind of miss the lemony smell of our old stuff (silly, I know - but every little bit of joy counts when doing drudgery work!) but not enough to keep using it if this keeps working out so well. I made a larger batch of the mix tonight, put it in a reusable plastic lidded tub, threw in a small salvaged scoop, and we're all set. (Hey, I just realized - no more toxic, hulking plastic bottles to discard, either! The ingredients all come in biodegradable cardboard boxes. )

Now I'm going through the other recipes I have marked to see what's next on the list. :-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hi!
I just came across your blog after googling self made dishwasher detergent. you write that you miss the lemon smell - why don't you apply a few drops of essential lemon oil? just a thought!
I'll try the recipe you used!